Sunday, May 9, 2010

Hard Work

Rick had a week off between finals and summer term so he watched the boys a lot (while I was at work) and got some projects done. I helped after I got off of work and any time I could find a minute. We did some small projects like painting trim in the bathroom and fixing vents, and then when the weather cooperated we (he) tackled the big projects.
#1 on the list: Get rid of the island in the front yard. He hauled wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow of dirt to the garden, flower beds and a neighbor even came and took some of it home. Then he laid the sod. You can still see the edges but hopefully it'll blend in well. I can't even describe how good it looks and how nice it is to have that monstrosity gone.

Next on the list was the kid's play area. We leveled the area, laid weed guard, brought back in the playground stuff we had and got some of the rubber mulch. The kid's have a great time playing in it. It took a few days to get the border down and finished. The bright green stuff on the edges is "bare-spot repair" Hopefully the grass comes in soon before Jace pulls it all up.

I also planted strawberries and got the garden ready to go (still unplanted). The last big project in the back yard is to put up a fence to keep the kids out of it. Currently they play follow the leader up and over the rows.
Last fall I planted a bunch of tulips and daffodils. They are coming in GREAT!!! I'm so excited because they have come a long way from the weed infested, bark covered, clay soil area it was just a few years ago. I hope to get some more landscaping rocks and get more plants in soon.

It's finally starting to look like someone cares about this yard and is trying to take care of it.

3 comments:

Ashlee said...

You guys have been very busy! Everything looks so nice Tiana! Mark and I have been trying to revive our yard too! Buying a home that has gone into short sale can have its perks but our yard was in serious need of a lil' TLC. We are working on it! Hopefully the lawn will be weed free one of these days! Love your cute home and yard! PS. Happy Momma day!

Mitzi said...

It looks great!

Emu Monkey said...

It looks great! Makes me a bit jealous though. We have one of the islands in our backyard that we have been humming and hoeing about since we moved in. I am ready to rip it out, but we want to be able to sell next summer, so I hate to do it and not have the yard in before trying to sell. I guess we are still humming and hoeing about it.